Certain medications can:5
- Make it hard for you to fall asleep
- Cause you to wake up at night
- Disturb your sleep
Here are some examples of drugs that can bother your sleep:6
- Caffeine, amphetamines (for ADHD), and alcohol can stimulate your brain and make it hard for everything to slow down when you try to sleep
- Medications that are commonly used for heart conditions such as beta-blockers that can cause nightmares or diuretics that can cause night time trips to the washroom.
- Decongestants in cough and cold products for runny or stuffy noses.
Do not stop or change any of the medications you are taking without first talking to your doctor or pharmacist.